Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Paintings Blooms from Life Class at Viva The Flower Store

Last week,  I enjoyed a great painting session with 8 painting ladies at the fabulous blooms studio Viva The Flower Store in Angaston, South Australia which is not far from where I live. 

Avril has created an enviable space which is perfect for her gorgeous giftware and flowers. And as it turns out, for us to invade with nine easels and lashings of oil paint! Avril and I have known each other for about ten years. When I first came to the Barossa, she and her then partner at Viva, Tessa, invited me to put my artworks into their store. They were great supporters and helped me to get started all those years ago when I was worrying how to pay the mortgage from my art sales. So it was a pleasure to be working with Avril again whom I admire as a business woman and a flower stylist.

Avril set up a selection of seasonal spring blooms which included peonies and delphiniums, orchids and daisies to name a few. We began at 10am and the students were finished by 4.
A picnic lunch in the park was prepared by Blonde Cafe and we were allowed a glass of champers once the paintings were nearly completed. I kept painting afterwards to finish the painting of peonies that I had started and made good use of left over paint on the palettes and the palette knife. These are the first peonies of the season, just beginning to open so I couldn't resist. I always feel its best to capture the painting in the one setting as much as possible.

What I love is seeing the confidence grow as the painting lesson draws near to the finish, and all the marks, all the efforts begin to amke sense. Lots of people haven't painted since high school and onoy then very minimally so it can be exhilarating to discover how easy it is to paint when you are shown how.
Here's what the students had to say about it all;

Fantastic workshop Jac – loved it again. Always great to paint with you. Look forward to next time .   Judith

Fantastic workshop – cannot believe I am taking home a beautiful painting I am proud of in just one workshop. Definitely would like to do more.
 Janine King

3rd workshop &  still loving it..... coming back for more ( smiley face) . Janelle Amos (Barossa Coffee Roasters) and via email later... 
Hi There… Thanks so much for my workshop last week – I absolutely LOVED it and Paul said he hasn’t seen me this excited for a while…. Yay!! J I just looooveed scraping and wacking on the oils you’ve inspired me to explore this medium further – so thankyou so much!!


Loved it ! Inspired to do more – so pleased with my first oil painting. Thanks Jac.   Jen Light

  •  The next impasto blooms workshop at Viva The Flower Store is scheduled for Tuuesday February 28th 2011 10am -4pm. Bookings open.Confirm your plave with a $50 deposit to etiher Avril and the girls at Viva 08 8564 3393 or Jacqueline on M 0412 587 438 or via email jacquelinecoates@bigpond.com. $295 will secure you a spot including all art materials, tuition and catering.
  • There is a peony workshop at Holly Loveday's Lotus Flowers in Hazelwood Park November Sunday 27th , 2011 12-5pm $295 per person all catering and art mterials included.
I hope you enjoy the following images. Well done to all the participants!
Happy spring blooms!,
All the best,
Jacqueline Coates














No comments:

Post a Comment